cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:04:50 -0500

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 04:41 am, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> Quoting drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>:
> > The FSF sayd the original BSD is Free but not GPL compatible IIRC. Yes:
> >
> > http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
> >
> > If they think BY and BY-SA are non-Free, can you tell us why?
>
> The FSF?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses
>
> "There is literally no specific freedom that all Creative Commons licenses
> grant. Therefore, to say that a work "uses a Creative Commons license" is
> to leave all important questions about the work's licensing unanswered.
> When you see such a statement, please suggest making it clearer. And if
> someone proposes
> to "use a Creative Commons license" for a certain work, it is vital to ask
> immediately "Which one?""
>
> All CC licenses allow noncommercial copying. And the FSF currently
> publish three
> licenses and are proposing to add at least one more. ;-)

Actually, Rob, if you read that carefully, it seems more like the FSF has
basically the same issue here as I do. I certainly agree that saying "uses a
Creative Commons license" does leave all important questions about the work's
licensing unanswered. I would guess that they think that the important
questions are ones relating to freedom. Since CC licenses cover both free
licenses and non-free licenses, we get no important questions answered about
a work's license if all the answer we get is that it has a CC license.

If however (and here I am giving an example I don't think I have asked for
this strongly) CC were to establish Free CC and non-Free CC categories and
put BY and BY-SA into Free CC and the rest into non-Free CC then if someone
were to say "this work is under a Free CC license" then would indeed get
answers to some very important licensing questions. And likewise, if they
were to say "this work is under a non-Free CC license," we would also have
the answers to important licensing questions.

If you think my take on this is incorrect with respect to the FSF's
statements, please try and explain it to me.

> - Rob.

(da idea man)