cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:49:38 -0500

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 07:26 am, Javier Candeira wrote:
> rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> > Quoting drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>:
> >> The FSF sayd the original BSD is Free but not GPL compatible IIRC. Yes:
> >>
> >> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
> >>
> >> If they think BY and BY-SA are non-Free, can you tell us why?
> >
> > The FSF?
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses
> >
> > "There is literally no specific freedom that all Creative Commons
> > licenses grant. Therefore, to say that a work "uses a Creative Commons
> > license" is to leave all important questions about the work's licensing
> > unanswered. When you see such a statement, please suggest making it
> > clearer. And if someone proposes
> > to "use a Creative Commons license" for a certain work, it is vital to
> > ask immediately "Which one?""
>
> I think that now the CC buttons state which license allows what, this
> requirement is fulfilled. Or one could say that FSF currently publishes one
> license that allows binary-only distribution of programs, so when someone
> proposes to use a "GPL license" for a certain work, it is vital to ask
> immediately "Which one?. The lesser one?". Time to move on?

Why? Both you refer to are Free licenses, there is no similar grouping in CC.
If you are not concerned with Free, please do not dismiss the concerns of
those of us who are. (Speaking only for myself actually, but I imagine there
may be one or two others with concerns roughly similar to mine in the world.)

In any case, do you see this a something that is simply unimportant, or do
you
see doing something like this as harmful. If you see it as harmful, please
try to explain why...

> People usually do, in fact. They pick GPL or LGPL and state it; we should
> make sure that it is easier for users of CC to state clearly which flavour
> they are using than to hide it.

I think that is done. There is more too it that simply icons for specific
licenses. Surely that much is plain by now.

> -- javier

(da idea man)