cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:29:00 -0500

On Monday 12 February 2007 06:34 am, Javier Candeira wrote:
> rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> > Under GPL-3, the BY license of Elephants Dream might be compatible with
> > the GPL
> > and so the source files could be included without any worry.
>
> I hadn't considered this. How does GPL-3 make the BY license compatible?
>
> And since I am on it, does anyone know which changes in the CC v3 licenses
> make them compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines?
>
> >> In most cases, there is no problem with the existing licenses. A game
> >> engine's copyleft license does not affect the content it plays, nor does
> >> the sharealike content license affect the engine used to play it.
>
> Nobody says that. What we say is that the game *is* the content, not the
> engine. So we would like to have completely modifiable games, not just
> games whose engine can be modified.
>
> This may be Offtopic, so count this as a placeholder for a debate, maybe to
> be held in another venue. You can run a non-free python program on the free
> Python interpreter, and you can play a non-free game on the free game
> engine, but the user is better served if her programas and her games are
> free.

I agree. I think the point that the person was trying to make is that you
could have one copyleft license for the engine and another copyleft license
for the content and the two licenses which would not allow you to mix works
of each would not cause a proble mas you are not actually mixing the works in
a way the license addresses/prevents.

> Back on the topic. That CC-by and CC-by-sa are compatible with the GPL and
> free-enough-for-Debian is, however, a full solution to all my (real or
> perceived) quibbles on this matter.
>
> Thanks for the hard clarification work,
>
> -- javier

(da idea man)