cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA CompatibilityLanguageToo

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: jonathon <jblake AT eskimo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA CompatibilityLanguageToo
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:39:10 +0000

tomislav medak wrote:

> What would be the benefit of such a meta button?

it would make it easier for people to tell if something was free or not.

Example time: One of the FLOSS projects has created a color palette for
their new icons. [Tango is the name of the set.] It is distributed
under the CC-BY-ND 2.5 license.

Which means that that palette can not be imported into OOo, without
violating the license.

it also means that despite being a FLOSS project, some sub components
are _not_ free. [I'm waiting to see if Debian puts that project into the
"non-free"category, or not. If they are consistent, it will relist it as
being non-free.]

> There was once however the talk of using additional
> color-coding for different degrees of freedom similar licenses offer,
> where BY and BY-SA licenses had the same coloring. However, this really
> is a minor issue.

Several variations were proposed. No doubt you can find the relevant
URL in the list archive. [As best as I can determine, the images
contained neither license information, nor who created them,in their
metadata. :( ]

xan

jonathon