cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Enough please (was Re: Some basic agreements?)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <teloscorbin AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Enough please (was Re: Some basic agreements?)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:39:39 -0500

To apply DRM, people usually needed to know how
it worked. And to explain how it worked, and release
that information to the public so that anyone could
apply DRM, well, that was usually frowned upon
by the DRM-Dave's of the world. Of course, Dave
frowned by taking people to court.

Maybe things have improved since the "dark times".

On 12/11/06, Dana Powers <dana.powers AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/10/06, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that if Dave does not authorize
> it, then to apply DRM that plays on his DRM-only
> platform is to violate the anti-circumvention clause
> of the DMCA.
>
> Is this not the case?

DRM Dave should probably consult a lawyer. But a plain reading of
1201(b) suggests that this is not the case. Check out, for example,
Doubletwist. Take with a grain of salt though, as I am not aware of
any court rulings on this point yet, nor am I aware of any bar license
with my name on it :)

dp