cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Enough please (was Re: Some basic agreements?)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Enough please (was Re: Some basic agreements?)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:58:16 -0500 (EST)

> Greg wrote:
>
>> Under CC-SA, without any DRM clause at all,
>> without ANTI-TPM and without Par-Dist,

>> Can he forbid everyone else from applying DRM
>> to CC-SA content and set himself up as the sole
>> source provider of CC-SA content on his platform?
>
> No.

Well, see. There's an unexpected answer.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.

If DRM Dave has a DRM only platform
and if DRM Dave witholds authorization
for anyone to apply his DRM to their content,
my understanding is that DRM Dave can prevent
anyone from putting their content on his platform.

My understanding is that if Dave does not authorize
it, then to apply DRM that plays on his DRM-only
platform is to violate the anti-circumvention clause
of the DMCA.

Is this not the case?

Greg
--