cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Will CC-BY allow DRM?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Will CC-BY allow DRM?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:58:40 -0500

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 06:35 pm, Mia Garlick wrote:
> just to clarify on the issue of whether religious organizations can
> use NC material consistent with the NC clause. the initial draft of
> the guidelines did question whether to exclude religious
> organizations (it didn't say that they necessarily were) but (a)
> there was some challenge to this on this list (b) this was final (c)
> from the general feedback i'm getting, it probably makes no sense to
> exclude them.

I don't think they should be excluded either, but someone said they were and
no one said they were wrong. If I remember right, they also said that local
public schools did not fall within those organizations that were allowed to
use NC works. And some others which one might have thought should have been
able to.

> in any event, the guidelines are in discussion draft format. the
> person who gets to decide who can use NC materials is the licensor
> who chooses the NC license condition.

That is a fairly scary statement if it is as bald as that. Surely the
licensor
can be more generous that the actual terms of the license, but if they can
restrict people clearly allowed by the license itself, the license has almost
no use and is in fact dangerous. No?

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
Sayings (Winner 2006)