cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Maybe Dual Licensing is the solution.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Maybe Dual Licensing is the solution.
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:47:44 -0600

James Grimmelmann wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
>>>For those of you who are willing to allow someone
>>>a commercial monopoly on some particular platform,
>>>I suggest that you take your content and do like
>>>the dual-licensers do. License your work CC-SA
>>>and contribute it to some larger community, and
>>>then when some proprietary company wants the exclusive
>>>rights to use that content on their DRM-Only hardware
>>>platform, dual license your content. Give the proprietary
>>>vendor a CC-BY license to use your work on their
>>>platform, let them have sole right to commercial advantage
>>>on that platform, and everyone should be happy.
>>
>>They don't even have to give the vendor a BY license, thay can give him the
>>BY-SA with the PD clause that they want.
>
> Or, better yet, give the vendor BY-ND (with a side promise not to
> enforce the anti-DRM clause), and do the parallel distribution yourself.

Note that the vendor should expect to pay for this privilege, and you
should expect to collect for it. This is no different from selling
rights on an ARR work.

*That* seems to me like a fair compromise. Vendors want to sell
proprietary works on their proprietary platform. That's what DRM is
designed to protect. If free content is going to be allowed on that
platform, it's entirely sound to expect free content developers to be
paid for that.

I personally would find DRM Dave a lot less nefarious if he were paying
me for my work that he wants to monopolize. ;-)

Cheers,
Terry