cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] any examples of how to attribute?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] any examples of how to attribute?
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:26:22 -0800

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 23:05 -0800, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> That's what I suspected. I think that right now it just isn't
> practical for musicians to figure out what a WOAF page might be.

Maybe not call it a WOAF page? :)

There isn't any need for a musician to consciously go about creating a
page that has metadata for a given file, that's an impossible thing to
ask. Music sites and music CMSware that musicians might use are a
better target, and even then a WOAF page is most likely a page that
would exist anyway, with some extra metadata.

> I have been thinking about ways to make CC infrastructure profitable
> for independent companies. There's a ton of work to be done, and some
> of it would get done more quickly if there were a profit motive. For
> example, it would be great if there were a business motivation to
> build out CC licensing tools like WOAF pages.

A rationalization for including a link to a "WOAF" page (or "web
statement") in a file (the motivation was that a link to a license is
meaningless--anyone could add a CC license link to a Madonna MP3) is
that if media players and other software read and displayed the relevant
metadata, it would be another link back to the artist, and links are
valuable. There is of course a chicken and egg problem...

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer