cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 00:15:29 +0200

Nancy Ide skrev:
Ok, let me clarify. I appreciate Drew's note and apologize if I was overly defensive--I think I was responding to the "tea-inspiring" note from earlier today.

To clarify: our use is this: we gather texts, "annotate" them with linguistic information, and distribute them for use by mostly researchers, but in a small number of cases, commercial enterprises, which in turn consist mainly of publishers who are developing either dictionaries or English-as-a-second language (ESL) texts. There are two major uses: (1) use the texts to generate statistics about usage, like, how many times a noun is followed by a verb, etc. (2) looking for patterns, like how many times is " could care less" used instead of "could not care less" in current usage. In case (1), the researchers never even look at the text, they just generate statistics from it. In case (2), most of the time a concordance, consisting of a set of sentences, is looked at, say, to find all occurrences of "could" followed within some number of words by "care". The idea is to see how people use language. So, as an example of a commercial use, a dictionary maker or an author an ESL textbook might point out that "could care less" is more frequent than "could not care less" in current usage. They might, in a rare instance, use a sentence from one of the texts that was shown in the concordance to use one of these constructions in their published text or dictionary.

I really don't understand your problem. Why would your data-mining project violate anyones copyright? What is your infringement case, that is how do you think you would violate the copyright of the works you gather statistics from?

/Peter Brink