cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Nancy Ide <ide AT cs.vassar.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:40:48 -0400

On Jun 6, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Jonathon Blake wrote:

If you haven't got the time/money to request permission, you do not
have the time/money to verify that contributors are "native American
English" speakers. [Which means that you do not have the time/money
to do the proposed project.]

This is not a proposed project--it has been on-going for four years, funded by the National Science Foundation and ANC Consortium members, and we already have 22 million words out. While we have time and money to prepare more corpus data, we do not have more time and money to do much else at the moment, as we are currently operating on a shoestring due to funding cuts in government funding for all but military/intelligence research in language processing.

We do not verify that contributors (via the web--I am not talking about authors of texts that were, for example, provided by publishers, who ensure the authors are native AmE speakers) are native American speakers--the point of the material on the web site is for self-screening. Anyway, the demographic information they provide when they contribute gives us the info we need to determine it, if necessary.