cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Nancy Ide <ide AT cs.vassar.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons licenses cause a problem
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 16:10:29 -0400

On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Ali Baba wrote:
Maybe they just can't use ARR works, so they would like to use CC
works instead, but found that the great majority of these are just as
unuseable as ARR works.

Correct.

But then, why not also complain about ARR
works? I think the reason is: because in this case there is nobody to
complain to.

Correct again, but only in part. See below.

Pretty simple, you see. Which doesn't make it rational -- but who said
people always act rationally, again? ;-)

I wrote to the cc-licenses group thinking (at the time) that this was a group of people who had thought a lot about fair and free use as opposed to ARR, knew a lot about copyright laws, were open to reasonable uses of electronically published data, and who might engage in a (rational) discussion of a license to allow for a kind of access that would both protect the authors and enable legitimate research use. So far, no discussion, rational or otherwise, has ensued.

=====================

Nancy Ide

Professor and Chair of Computer Science
Vassar College
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604-0520 USA
Tel: +1 845 437-5988 Fax: +1 845 437-7498
ide AT cs.vassar.edu

Chercheur Associe
Equipe Langue et Dialogue, LORIA/CNRS
Campus Scientifique - BP 239
54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 83 59 20 47 Fax: +33 (0)3 83 41 30 79
ide AT loria.fr