cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:29:25 +0000

Rob Myers wrote:

How can this be enforced downstream, in derivatives of the FDL work?

Here's something interesting. See Wikipedia's copyright notice:

<quote>
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts.
</quote>

It would be worth investigate the consequences of this notice.

One convenient interpretation is that they are are effectively making a new license, by taking GFDL and adding additional restrictions. If this interpretation is legally sound (or close to), maybe we can aim to make BY-SA compatible not with the standard GFDL but with this variation.

The consequences of this would be:
* You can't mix Wikipedia with standard GFDL work anyways.
* You could mix Wikipedia with BY-SA 3.0 without fear.
* We would get most of the benefit that GFDL-compat promises, without the same risks.

It would be interesting to get a lawyer to comment on the legal implications of Wikipedia's copyright notice.

[But FDL is still so very different from BY-SA. How do I make an FDL derivative of a CC-BY-SA poem into a song, or a story into a movie? One of the CC licenses' strongest points is that they are designed to allow deriving works across media. If I derive FDL work from GPL work I'm locking the work pretty much to a textual format, breaking this principle as well.]

I don't think anyone here doubts that BY-SA beats GFDL hands down :)

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org