cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: 20 Nov 2005 14:14:30 +0900

Hi. Thank you for pointing out unclarity.

>Daniel Carrera wrote:
>>wiki_tomos wrote:

>> - CC-BY-SA states that not only You (licensee) cannot add any
>> Invariant Section if You create a derivative work, but also states
>> that any subsequent user creating a derivative work is subject to the
>> same restriction.
>
>I don't understand this bit. The BY-SA doesn't allow invariant sections
>already. So this paragraph seems to change nothing.

What I wanted to mean by this part is that
1. CC-BY-SA prohibits people from creating a derivative work with an
Invariant Section
and release it under the GFDL. (The initial proposal did not specify much
about
how one can release a derivative under GFDL, so I thought it was possible for
licensee to add an Invariant Section or two).

2. CC-BY-SA prohibits any subsequent licensee from adding an Invariant
Section to its
derivative work, even when the derivative work is licensed under GFDL.

3. Thus it is equivalent of exercising the right of "prohibiting Invariant
Section hereafter"
in GFDL that I proposed to introduce in the previous mail.

This is a quite technical point, and something that I am not particularly
qualified to do. But the points are:

1. "GFDL's licensor can chose if licensees who create derivative
works can add Invariant Section"

2. "CC-BY-SA licensors do not allow licensees who create derivative works to
add
Invariant Section, even after the license is switched from CC-BY-SA to GFDL."

By introducing these changes, I can hope, to some degree, that FSF can change
GFDL
further to allow GFDL'd works' derivatives without Invariant Sections to be
licensed
under CC-BY-SA.

Well, again, I know there are informed pessimists like Evan regarding FSF's
willingness to implement any change to establish GFDL - CC-BY-SA
compatibilities.
But I have been exposed to both optimistic and pessimistic opinions about
this
from well-informed folks. So I try to remain hopeful at this point of time.

And think about the kind of freedom that they value - freedom to add some
Invariant Section to your own work is perhaps something FSF wants to protect.
But if none author of a work exercised the right, FSF would not mind as much
that it will stay that way forever.

Regarding Stephanie's point, that ease of use for lay people is very
important,
I agree. The kind of changes that I proposed here does not affect users of
CC-BY-SA
works at all, unless they want to either switch the license to GFDL or bring
some works from GFDL and release it under CC-BY-SA.

But the proposed changes are just one example of how two-way compatibility
could be established. Perhaps there are better ideas.

Regards,

Tomos