cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:37:52 +0000

rob AT robmyers.org wrote:

I am not saying anyone has suggested an NC (although the article Mia linked to
was about NC not SA), I am saying that contrasting this proposed BY-SA with the equivalent BY-NC-SA licence reveals a problem.

Ah. I see now.

Any modification to the SA module must be consistent in all licenses with an SA on it. The proposed change is incompatible with NC, and that would present a problem with one license with an SA module.

I have identified a flaw with the proposal that is based on its
fundamentals.

That wasn't clear to me from your previous email.

Start campaigning to deprecate FDL in favor of BY-SA for non-computer
manual documentation.

I'm already campaigning to deprecate FDL by BY-SA for *everything* :-)

http://oooauthors.org

This is a project I founded for making a manual for OOo. We don't use FDL, we use BY (yes, plain attribution).

http://opendocumentfellowship.org

This is another project I founed. This isn't a manual btw. Everything here is BY-SA.

Making SA work relicensable only in FDL work that has no invariant sections, and
insisting that the attribution URL be included as part of the FDL work would
help, but only for the first generation of relicensed work. So one trivial
derivative is all it would take to strip this requirement.

I see.

It might be easier to make BY-ND compatible with GFDL :-)
(btw, I hate the ND module).

I have a question. Is the BY module compatible with the GFDL? Can I take a BY work and relicense it under the GFDL?

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org