cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Antoine" <antoine AT pitrou.net>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:04:58 +0100 (CET)

> I think the idea is worth discussing. Increasing the amount of work
> available for mixing has a lot of merit. We need to explore options and
> see what we come up with. For example:
>
> 1. Talk to the FSF about removing invariant sections from the GFDL.
> 2. Make the BY-SA say "you can make this GFDL without inv. sections".

The GFDL is a /very/ complicated license with weird terms (some totally
unacceptable like the "invariant sections" stuff). For example they have a
convoluted definition of "Transparent Copy" whereas the definition of
"source code" in the GPL is much simpler and could have been taken as-is.
I think most people can simply not comply with these terms because they
are too complicated - uselessly complicated. (*)

My own personal opinion is that the GFDL should be de facto deprecated in
favor of both the FAL and the CC-by-sa :)

(*) As says the Zen of Python:
Simple is better than complex.
Complex is better than complicated.

Regards