cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:08:43 +0000
On 18 Nov 2005, at 22:47, wiki_tomos wrote:

So, it is not possible to take a CC-BY-SA'd book chapter,
and release half of its derivative as Invariant Section and
other half the main part of the work under GFDL.

The FSF's discussion of invariant sections mentions making the GNU Manifesto invariant when included in manuals...

My tentative opinion about how CC should be changed is that
when a derivative work is released under GFDL, Invariant Sections could
be prohibited.

How can this be enforced downstream, in derivatives of the FDL work?

The elements that should be added or kept in the Original
CC-BY-SA work can be added or kept as license notice, copyright notice,
network location, and History, as in GFDL.

Yes, this (or invariant sections) might work well for keeping attribution and the attribution URL as well.

[But FDL is still so very different from BY-SA. How do I make an FDL derivative of a CC-BY-SA poem into a song, or a story into a movie? One of the CC licenses' strongest points is that they are designed to allow deriving works across media. If I derive FDL work from GPL work I'm locking the work pretty much to a textual format, breaking this principle as well.]

- Rob.