cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Re: Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:28:59 -0500

On Friday 18 November 2005 06:37 am, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> > I am not saying anyone has suggested an NC (although the article Mia
> > linked to was about NC not SA), I am saying that contrasting this
> > proposed BY-SA with the equivalent BY-NC-SA licence reveals a problem.
>
> Ah. I see now.
>
> Any modification to the SA module must be consistent in all licenses
> with an SA on it. The proposed change is incompatible with NC, and that
> would present a problem with one license with an SA module.
>
> > I have identified a flaw with the proposal that is based on its
> > fundamentals.
>
> That wasn't clear to me from your previous email.
>
> > Start campaigning to deprecate FDL in favor of BY-SA for non-computer
> > manual documentation.
>
> I'm already campaigning to deprecate FDL by BY-SA for *everything* :-)
>
> http://oooauthors.org
>
> This is a project I founded for making a manual for OOo. We don't use
> FDL, we use BY (yes, plain attribution).
>
> http://opendocumentfellowship.org
>
> This is another project I founed. This isn't a manual btw. Everything
> here is BY-SA.
>
> > Making SA work relicensable only in FDL work that has no invariant
> > sections, and
> > insisting that the attribution URL be included as part of the FDL work
> > would help, but only for the first generation of relicensed work. So one
> > trivial derivative is all it would take to strip this requirement.
>
> I see.
>
> It might be easier to make BY-ND compatible with GFDL :-)
> (btw, I hate the ND module).

Indeed. I have a serious dislike for NDand for NC myself. I go for the BY-SA
and would sometimes go for a plain SA if it were available in the up to date
licenses.

I think CC might have missed the boat on dropping that one despite the
numbers. SA might have been a turtle while the other licenses were rabbits.

> I have a question. Is the BY module compatible with the GFDL? Can I take
> a BY work and relicense it under the GFDL?

Is the BY module compatible with "all rights reserved?"

> Cheers,
> Daniel.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/57503
BY-SA paper plane construction video