cc-licenses - Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:11:46 -0400

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 05:35 pm, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> Ron Kaminsky wrote:
> > 1) The license would have to give me the right to publish his
> > work under a CC-like license starting at a certain date in the
> > future.
>
> I don't see how preservation requires publication. Publication strikes me
> as a different matter entirely. Preservation might require being able to
> take a copy of the work (or the work itself) to someplace else for
> preservation labor.
>
> > 3) If the release date is far in the future, I would need to
> > have the right to transfer the work and my rights under (1)
> > and (2) to an agent or agents who would see to the release
> > after my death. (e.g., www.archive.org). In fact, every agent
> > in turn would need the right to transfer to another agent
> > just in case they can no longer store the work themselves.
>
> Since you would not be alive 100 years from today, you would be getting a
> copy of the work under a CC license, say, for your estate or for some other
> entity. What you want to do with the work might not require any special
> license, just an agreement to get a copy of the work 100 years from now
> under a CC license.
>
> Also, you would want your estate to somehow recover the money spent on this
> arrangement if there was no copyright on the work when your estate went to
> get their copy of the work. After all, if the work is no longer under
> copyright, your estate needs no permission to do anything with the work.
> Hence, paying for that permission was a total waste of money.

I think you are missing what is concerns are and what he wants to do.

He is concerned that when copyright on the work runs out, there will be no
copies of the work in existance anywhere. He wants th right to make copies
now in order to ensure the existance of such copies when copytights to run
out on the work.

I think I have that right.