cc-licenses - Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ron Kaminsky <ronkaminsky AT yahoo.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:20:26 -0700 (PDT)

The long duration of copyright as pushed for by industry
has been bothering me a lot. My gut feeling is that many
creative works will never be preserved for future generations
because of it.

When I think of the following scenario: an artist has created
a copyrightable work and does not release it under a CC license.
I want to preserve this work for posterity. Unfortunately, I
will not be around for the next 100 (or more) years until
the work's copyright protection will expire. I am willing to
pay the artist money to buy the right to conserve this work
for posterity.

What kind of license does he need to give me in return for
my payment, which would enable this?

1) The license would have to give me the right to publish his
work under a CC-like license starting at a certain date in the
future.

2) The license would have to give me the right to copy and
transfer the work as far as is necessary to preserve it until
the date of release.

3) If the release date is far in the future, I would need to
have the right to transfer the work and my rights under (1)
and (2) to an agent or agents who would see to the release
after my death. (e.g., www.archive.org). In fact, every agent
in turn would need the right to transfer to another agent
just in case they can no longer store the work themselves.

Just a thought!

Ron