cc-licenses - Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Marcus Bornfreund <marcus AT law-share.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:59:26 -0400

Hi all. Here's another thought, one expressed to me in-person recently by Richard Stallman and supported by several members of our own community: No new licences.

Instead, I suggest that we stop and consider the mandate of Creative Commons. What do we want people to infer when they see the CC in a circle on a creative work? What is CC's ideology? Is it to promote collaboration and sharing whenever possible, or in a particular fashion? If the former, than the more licences the merrier so long as they do not logically conflict; if the latter, perhaps less is more...

/Marcus