cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Peter Knupfer, H-Net" <peter AT mail.h-net.msu.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:13:24 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
Now, to actually get to some meat...

Do you know of any way in law to accomplish what is wanted with respect to mortal rights?

My sources tell me that within the confines of the CC license in the US, for any use that does not require permission (such as incorporation in a collective work) or is permitted under the license, the answer is no (except for certain audiovisual works that do have limited moral rights protections). Outside of the license, one can exercise moral rights by simply refusing permission.

These are fairly serious issues for scholars who are sharing documents or putting up preprints that can be snatched and inserted into anthologies in ways that distort the original work's meaning. Writers have to take their lumps, of course, but it does mean that the CC license can have a significant chilling effect on the sharing of some works -- especially culturally-sensitive or highly emotional materials.

Peter