cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:13:36 +0100

drew Roberts skrev:

I am ignorant of moral rights in practice, but from what little I have read and examples I have seen quoted, they can go pretty far. For instance, after finding out what little I have, it seems to me that one possible example of their use is:

I own a Rembrandt, I buy a modern work from a living painter and hand them both in the reception area of my company. The living painter can object to my hanging his painting next to the Rembrandt.

Well, he could claim that - a court would then have to decide whether the artist really had grounds for such a claim. Personally I think the case sounds like a far stretch.

They can give the creator rights over physical items of art even after they have sold those items.

Correct.

/Peter Brink