cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:16:17 -0500 (EST)

Rob Myers said:
> I've seen moral rights brought up in a real debate on the licenses in
> the context of preventing racist groups mis-using images of immigrants
> arriving in the country.

I know of no real-world case where Moral Rights were used.

The idea of using Moral Rights to fight racism seems like
locking the front door while leaving the back door open.
How hard would it be for a racist to get some OTHER photo
of immigrants?

Actually, Moral Rights don't lock the front door,
they put a trap door in front of the door.
Which then means everyone who walks in might have
the rug drop out from under them.

Greg