cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:07:32 -0500 (EST)

Peter Knupfer, H-Net said:
> Greg London wrote:
>> I know of no real-world case where Moral Rights were used.
>>
> Used how? They're "used" all the time if someone refuses permission
> because she believes the use will damage her reputation.

You mean "retract" permission, don't you?
The author gave permission by using a CC license.
But then the author retracts permission for a
particular work after they see the end result.

That is how "Moral Rights" work, isn't it?

If it's just "refuse" permission, then keep the work
"all rights reserved", grant permission to specific
projects you approve of, and refuse permission to the
anti-holocaust group.

I'm picturing a rabbit trap all of a sudden.
A box with a carrot under it. A stick holding
the box up, and a string that goes back to the
author's hand. If the author likes the result,
no worries. but if the author doesn't like the
result, they pull the rope.