cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:56:13 +0000
On 24 Mar 2005, at 18:29, Greg London wrote:

Moral Rights in a multi-user Gift Economy project sounds
like even more of a nightmare.

Yes, this is my concern as well. Moral rights, like copyright, are automatic. Unlike trademarks and patents they are zero-cost and zero-maintenance, but they can still be used to torpedo projects (in theory).

For market economy projects they are an important device. I can complain if someone crops or colour manages my art badly under my right of integrity, or insist that I be credited under my right of paternity.

But for copyleft, "freedom" is a more important principle than my ego.

I've seen moral rights brought up in a real debate on the licenses in the context of preventing racist groups mis-using images of immigrants arriving in the country. But emotive arguments aside, moral rights belong to a different conception of the author's relation to their work and to public life than American-style incentive copyright (and to copyleft).

- Rob.