cc-licenses - Re: "Creative Commons in the News"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: "Creative Commons in the News"
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:18:56 -0500

I'd love to see some kind of website that could explain, in basic terms, what
the copyright law is all about. Yes, I realize that various websites already
exist that may satisfy this request, but I think the site also needs to
address why culture is impacted by extreme durations of copyright protection.
Also, without question, the public domain (the commons) needs to be addressed
and explained on a level that anyone can understand.

Personally, I have a lot opinions on copyright law (and
patent/trademark/publicity rights), and I don't always agree with Lessig, but
even with the growth of CC material and the acceptance of the CC licenses,
more needs to be done.

Another idea I came up with involves a CC electronic newsletter that involves
CC-related news (Magnatune, Lessig, etc), maybe showcasing content available
under CC licenses, and also point out material available in the public domain
(and vice versa). The newsletter could also layout a simplistic explanation
as to why cc exists in the first place. Just an idea.