cc-licenses - Re: "Creative Commons in the News"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: "Creative Commons in the News"
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:06:12 -0500

Sad but true. The general public simply doesn't understand copyright laws,
and I am not talking about in-depth knowledge. I am talking about basic
stuff. In some ways, I can attribute this general lack of knowlegge to simply
not caring. It's kind of like people not caring that when they go to a
computer store (your average Circuit City/Best Buy/Office Depot), they only
have one option in operating systems. No alarms go off in their heads, no
panic, no questioning why this is the ways things are. It's apathy like this
that is keeping laws like the DMCA alive and well.

I have to say that Professor Lessig, and a few others, are helping to
redefine what some may see as copyrights and the alternatives, but more needs
to be done. It is sad that the American people (and the world at large) are
being force-fed laws that extend the length of copyrights, tighten the grip
of copyright holders and hold back intellectual advancements all because of
bad policy-making.

What do you guys think? Am I right that more education for the general public
is needed?

Thanks,

Mitch