cc-licenses - Re: "Creative Commons in the News"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Creative Commons in the News"
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:54:06 -0500

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 10:01 am, Greg London wrote:
> Branko Collin said:
> > "Creative Commons in the News"
> > http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/15/2145245
>
> Wow. I read some of the replies further down and it
> is clear to me that people just don't get copyright.
> Even basic, all rights reserved, copyright,

I think this is by design. Keep people confused and scared as to what they
are
allowed to do and you can run things.

Also, by keeping things confusing, people will not think to question all of
the inconsistencies in regards to what is and is not copyrighted, etc.

Further, keeping things confusing and complex raises the bar of entry so that
only the monied players can really play the game.

For instance, if you are writing a novel, can you have one of your characters
quote "To be or not to be..." ( assume yes) and can they quote a famous
saying of similar length from a modern work still under copyrigh?. If yes,
would quoting a different type of work make it no?

In music, how do you get compulsary licenses, mechanical licenses? How does
Phish allow for free concert downloads of their cover of the White Album?

Some group like Creative Commons or the EFF, etc. could do a world of good by
creating a copyright primer and cereating and maintaining a copyright faq.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22