baslinux - [BL] i586 was Re: Best mplayer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] i586 was Re: Best mplayer
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:10:07 +0000 (UTC)

The P54C (LTE 5280) works (plain VGA) with zgv/svgalib (nicely) and links2 -g (ugly but viewable). And with Xvesa at 800x600. Text does NOT fill the screen in text mode, but 800x600 Xvesa does, and there is no way to expand the text that I know of. It does not do framebuffer video.

The P55C (Thinkpad 560X) has unexpanded text (it requires framebuffer console to fill the page with text) like the P54C. With framebuffer video images are very scrambled (zgv or vgatest). Without framebuffer they look fine as plain VGA.

So svgalib works on i586 pentium laptops without expanded text mode and without framebuffer.

I have not checked newer pentium laptops. On pentium desktops it works with framebuffer but on LCD monitors it goes outside the frequency range so is not usable. svga mode works with mplayer.

The AMD-K6-2 (Presario 1200) does not work with svgalib. zgv scrambles the screen badly with framebuffer. Without framebuffer it is not quite as bad but I see two copies of the image bottom, one at each side of the screen. Text is expanded to fill the screen in text mode (no way to turn it off in setup) which seems to cause the scrambling.

fbjpeg illegal instruction with all three. It works on newer desktops where svgalib does not work with LCD monitor (out of range). Probably it could be compiled to worth with i586 laptops.

Sindi Keesan