baslinux - Re: [BL] Best mplayer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Best mplayer
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:53:05 +0000 (UTC)

Or can it be compiled for i586?
I don't know, I don't have such a machine.

You don't need to compile it ON an older machine.

In my case, I do.

You can compile on a 600MHz computer which is NEWER than my i586s.

I compiled for my 1998 laptops on my 2003 desktop.
I configured (with runtime cpu identification) and then

As I posted previously, I tried including runtime CPU identification,
and it wouldn't compile - need some libs I don't have with SW9 (or with
SW10 for that matter).

I used glibc 2.3.6 from SW11 to compile the i586 versions and did not have to install anything special for runtime detection. Which libraries are you missing? Have you tried upgrading glibc to SW11, which still works with a 2.4 kernel?

Yes, it plays .ogg, both audio files and video files. (ogg vorbis and
ogg theora).

Congratulations. I suppose it helps to have a full slackware when you
compile.

I wouldn't attempt to compile anything if it didn't have everything
that it is supposed to have. I never did understand why anyone would
want to cherry-pick among the libraries.

To make a smaller lighter program. Same for compiling kernels.
I also use the oldest version that does what I want - it is smaller.

I read the results of configure --help and disabled a lot of things - surprisingly it still did what I wanted on the first try.

I tried to compile for ogg and it kept wanting more things I did not have and could not find. After a while I gave up.

I compiled for i586 audio-only to make a smaller lighter binary, and left out MMX2 and SSE (P3) SSE2 (P4), and 3DNow2 (AMD post K6-2) since my older laptops don't support it (the P2 P55C does MMX, and the K6-2 3DNow, which is the equivalent). I figured this way it would run faster in less memory. Should probably have disabled termcap.

I also made a video i586 version and it plays DVDs but the computer is too slow without MMX2 and/or SSE, or perhaps the video chip is just too slow, and it displays very poorly (large colored squares). It is 10% larger with video support (without x11). The i686 no-video version is .2% smaller than no-video i586 (which worked on the i686). I will compile everything for i586 from now on.

Our Compaq LTE (120MHz) and Prosignia (350MHz) use PII, and Presario 380-475MHz AMD-K6-2. HP Omnibook 133-166 cpu is "P MMX" (PII) as is the DELL Latitude 166MHz and 300MHz. Toshiba Satellite 266MHz (probably also the 250MHz) and Thinkpad 233 266 and 400MHz are PII and so is Winbook xli.
14 potential radios. LTE and Winbook and DELL 300 don't sound too good
but the rest sound better than most newer models we have, and many have
volume controls.

Pentium 2 ended at 450MHz in 1998.
Pentium 3 started at 400Mhz in 1999.

Steven, does an i686 mplayer work on any of your laptops online?

An i586 mplayer for ogg and aacp (only need audio) would be quite helpful. Support MMX and 3DNow (unless they are only for video).

I compiled the video version only for a few formats - svga (which did not
work on one laptop and also requires libvga and libvgagl), vesa, and fbdev. These use less RAM than x11. Some cards work with one, some with another. LCD monitors can also be fussy.

My audio-only i586 binary (without MMX2 etc) is about 3MB (less for i686 than i586) but is not static - it requires a few basic libraries. The puppy 4.12 mplayer has a much longer dependency list (probably includes a gtk gui). Is yours CLI only?

uclibc-static versions of 1pre5 and 1pre7 are 7-8MB.
glibc236-dynamic 1pre7 is 5.4MB
glibc225-dynamic 0.93 is less than half the size.

Is yours uclibc-static?

mplayer is playing radio at 128K using about 3% of 96MB in each of two processes, which totals about 6MB, and 0.1% of cpu. About 5MB for kernel and ssh (dbclient). 12M total should make an adequate radio.

3.0/2.5 = 5.5% at 24K
3.3/2.8 = 6.1% at 128K - faster streaming uses .5MB more memory

Sindi,
If you want to have an attempt, I can at least put the soure that
worked for me, up on my website. Then, if you have a SW with ALL th
trimmings, you can have a go yourself.

I don't have a Slackware installed on anything. I was unable to compile rc1 but could do rc1try7 with SW11 gcc (which did not work for 0.93) and 0.93 with SW81 gcc (which did not work for later versions).

Which version is this? Type mplayer and page up.

Regards,
Ron