baslinux - Re: [BL] patched kernel needed for dec hinote.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] patched kernel needed for dec hinote.
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 23:26:27 +0000 (GMT)

"Some hardware is not supported by 2.4."

I wish good luck to those that need a 2.6 kernel. I am not one of them.

"Which BL are you using? BL1 and BL2 start with console."

I am using BL3. Am considering changing to BL2 as it seems to be more modern.

"There are lots of old CF cards around but you would need an adaptor. We
got one some place for $5 with a 4MB card in it."

I am aware that the hardware is cheap, but I have a more important use for
the small amount of spare cash that I have. I could buy a CF card, and
adaptors for each end, and it would cost me about £20. I could buy a more
modern laptop for £20. Or, alternatively, I can do what I can with the
hardware I have, and put the £20 towards getting my bike license. I choose
the last option.

"> Hmmm, I'm not sure fun is what I would call it. When I think of a better
> word I'll let you know :)
Challenging? Educational?"

Challenging, and educational are both correct, but I am far better with
hardware than software. Combine that with the fact that I have used
micro$haft operating systems since I was a small boy, I would have chosen
frustrating and annoying. Still, I managed to fix the problem, I suppose that
is all that counts really.

"Did you try a 2.4 kernel with the laptop? Maybe the bug was already fixed
in it."

Yes I did, I tried various 2.4 slackware kernels, and a few that you made.
None of them worked. My current kernel has run in X for a few hours, with no
problems. (2.4.33.3, the source code was included with slackware 11) The fix
is quite easy, I can send you my kernel + modules, or I can send you a
modified version of the buggy keyboard driver. I think you would be best
compiling your own with my hacked driver, as I really don't know what I'm
doing.