baslinux - Re: [BL] patched kernel needed for dec hinote.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] patched kernel needed for dec hinote.
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 08:21:07 -0700 (PDT)

"Which version kernel did you compile with Slackware 11 - 2.6? I was
unable to compile a BL-usable 2.6 kernel yet. It would be great if you
could make a minimal one and also modules for it, based on BL's config."

The one I did is 2.4. I have no need for 2.6 at the moment.

"BL3 comes all set up with pcmcia, but also with X.

There should be some way to edit rc so as not to load X at startup. Look
into doing that in the loop version (the 2-floppy is tricky to modify).
Steven, can you help with this?"

You must be using a different version to me, mine boots to command prompt,
and I have to start X manualy.

"If you can add 16MB or more of CF memory this should not be necessary."

I have no cash for such things at the moment. I would also need something to
plug the card into for my desktop.

"Isn't BL fun? It was my first linux and is still what I use most of the
time unless I need a recent graphical browser, or recent hardware. BL
tends to work better than newer linuxes on some hardware because it is
less automated. For instance with sound or mice."

Hmmm, I'm not sure fun is what I would call it. When I think of a better word
I'll let you know :)

The patch was made for a 2.2 kernel, so wouldn't work with 2.4. The change's
were pretty simple so I edited the code manually. All compiled ok. Testing
now......