baslinux - Re: [BL] patched kernel needed for dec hinote.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] patched kernel needed for dec hinote.
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:04:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

"BL3 is actually more recent but is based on older Slackware.
How do you boot it without graphics? Loop version?"

I have run bl3 from floppy, from loop, and from hd. All of them booted to
command line.
You are right, you need to startx first. I got confused with other linuxes.

"People keep giving us pentium I or sometimes II laptops, many of which are
fixable or even work. Do you have a local freecycle group?"

Yes, I have a local freecycle group. No, they never offer anything worth the bus fare to collect.

Have you tried asking for a 'very old laptop'? Or a laptop that needs work? Half the time only the hard drive is dead. If you live some place large enough for a busy system, there must be lots of old laptops there. We have a reputation for giving away computers (164 plus laptops) and people keep bringing us more, sometimes even working ones. I try to help people put BL on their old laptops, and then they give them to us when they find out how slow they run (120-166MHz).

I am happy to share with anyone, but I have nowhere to post it to. I used the official bl3 kernel config, but to compile with 2.4 I was asked many questions. I said no to most. You must remember I don't know what the **** I am doing. You speak of modules, but I belevive I have used no modules.

Try copying the config from one of my 2.4.31 kernels and applying your patch. I read about what the different questions meant and made many wrong guesses along the way. Did you make modules? Read the kernel compilation howto. The modules must be compiled with the same gcc as the kernel. You need modules for things like network cards, sound... unless
you compile everything you need into the kernel (different for each
computer). Once in a while modules won't work but built-in works, due to buggy kernel source code (such as for a serial PDA, or some laptop sound).

Sindi Keesan