baslinux - Re: [BL] patched kernel needed for dec hinote.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] patched kernel needed for dec hinote.
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:19:23 -0700 (PDT)

"This time there was only one copy of the mail, no html or unicode."

It must have taken a while to update my prefrences or something, I don't know.

"I don't yet know how to patch kernel source - do you?
I think 'patch' appends the corrections to a file somehow."

I have patched other code in the past, I guess it's the same for kernel
source. If it is the same its just one or two commands, but I can't remember
what they are. I don't know much about linux, I thought patching was a
standard part of compiling. Now you have worried me!

"Do you have a parallel port transfer cable? Parallel port zip drive? Both
work in DOS with under 640K memory.

A nullmodem cable would let you use the laptop as a real terminal
to run programs on some other computer with serial port."

If I need to I have the bits to make a parrallel or serial transfer cable,
but don't really want to spend the time doing it. I also have an adaptor to
plug the laptop drive into my desktop machine. Again, I would prefer not to.

In windows networking is possible over null modem, I would guess it can be
done in linux too.

"> I have been attempting to compile on one of my faster machines then
transfer the compiled kernel to the laptop with a floppy disk. I mentioned
slackware earlier, but have been using a ubuntu virtual machine, as from what
I have read that should work too.

So what happened when you tried?"

It failed due to issues compiling a 2.4 kernel from a 2.6 kernel. I tried
again under slackware 11, and the kernel is running now on the laptop. It
seems to work, but the X crash is still here as I didn't apply the patch yet.
I wanted to learn how to compile a kernel without patches first. Also....
FIRST EVER SUCSESSFUL KERNEL COMPILE, WOO HOO!!

"Does it have a PCMCIA slot to which you could add CF memory card (in a CF
adaptor)?"
Yes, but I want to fix this problem before I start mucking arround with
pcmcia.

"Does svgalib cause the same problems as X? BL1 came with a jpegviewer based
on svgalib, and I compiled libvga for kernel 2.4."
I don't know. Haven't tried it.