baslinux - Re: [BL] About EeePC

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] About EeePC
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:42:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I say use SliTaz.

http://slitaz.org

(I posted about this days ago but my post never appeared.
I guess maybe it's because i emailed it from an account
other than the one that is registered with this list?
Anyway ...)

I have an EeePc 900, still with the original Xandros
on the internal flash drive. But for about 6 months now
i've been running it almost entirely in SliTaz GNU/Linux
installed on a 16 GB SD card, which i just keep in the
SD slot all the time.

SliTaz is my favorite Linux, and runs better on the EeePc
than any of the other 5 machines i've installed it on.
It runs entirely in RAM (like Puppy), and so it is
lightning-fast.

But unlike Puppy you don't have to run SliTaz as root
-- it runs like most regular versions of Linux,
with any number of regular users, and su when you
need to be root. I like Puppy too, but i have a
major problem with its insistence that you run as root.

The SliTaz community is very active, considering that
it is still a relatively small-use distro, and they have
in fact created a "flavor" of SliTaz which is designed
especially for the EeePc ... but i don't use that,
because i installed mine before they did that.

Search the forum for EeePc and you'll find plenty of info.

My only warning is this: use the "stable" version 2.0.
I've been using the "cooking" version, and so far there
is no easy way to upgrade individual packages (it can be
done, but you have to go thru hoops) -- when you upgrade,
you upgrade to every new version of your installed packages
that's available. And in the "cooking" version, this has
broken the boot or login process on some of my machines
... but actually never on the EeePc. But to be safe, use stable.

-monz
(who still loves BL for his older machines ...)

--- On Fri, 7/10/09, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>