baslinux - Re: [BL] About EeePC

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] About EeePC
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 14:16:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I have an asus eee 900 and I tried a some different small Linuxes on
it. Latest Puppy Linux worked great the od resolution no problem. Now
I moved on to pupitup which is a Puppy Linux witch ames specific for
music making and funny enough that works even better since the
wireless cart is also working witch it was not in standart Puppy. I
found two Puppy Linux variations specific made for the eee both of
this did not worked with the sound cart. Mikkel

I just checked Browserpuppy on my desktop. It identified my lucent linmodem and came up with a long init string but was unable to dial with it. (Is there some live CD which works with lucent?). Firefox 3.5 seems to be dumbed down - fewer options including no way I can see to not accept cookies or not download images (use an add-on). Their desktop (jwm?) has XP-looking 3D buttons, annoying. They support wireless ethernet but I don't have a laptop new enough to check it on (live CD uses 512MB RAM).

Can you figure out what modules and modelines Puppy used with the eeePC?
xorg.conf.new in Browserpuppy did not list modelines.

Someone at the library had an eeePC and there is no CD-ROM drive but he says he could boot from USB flash drive. He was running an eeePC specific Crunchbang linux (smaller Ubuntu 8, will boot from flash drive) but that is no longer offered at their site. It worked well for him (with Firefox 3.0.5) but his battery life is half what it was with Xandros. (Perhaps it is just wearing out).

Mandriva has a small version designed for netbooks.

I still much prefer BL. Faster, simpler, gives you much more control.

The plain VGA X should work in BL3 with any video card. First install no-xvesa.tgz. Then good luck with the i810 video driver. What Modelines and modules does Xandros use with it?