baslinux - [BL] upgrading X in BL3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] upgrading X in BL3
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:03:37 +0000 (UTC)

In an attempt to get Firefox to work in BL3, I upgraded glibc to 2.3.6 (SW11). This broke dbclient (libutil.so.1 had an invalid ELF header until I changed back to 2.2.5). Dbclient works fine in BL2 with glibc 2.3.6.

Everything else (except Steven's Abiword) works so far with 2.3.6.

Firefox appears to be loading and I see it in top (same for Seamonkey) but it does not display. So I tried with SW11 libX11. (Another recent X program required a more recent libX11 than from BL2 to actually display - SJphone).

XFbdev loaded (without a wm). But xinit causes a segfault which then caused the machine to halt (I had to reboot). Does jwm require the original libX11? Would icewm for BL3 work better? (libc5?)

I see that libX11, libSM and libICE were compiled statically (uclibc?). Do I need to upgrade the latter to glibc? Why are they not libc5? I think there are now precompiled libc5 versions of the latest X libraries at X.org - would these work in BL3?

I know it is not recommended to run Firefox in BL3 but I am curious why so much is going wrong.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] upgrading X in BL3, baslinux, 07/13/2009