baslinux - Re: [BL] Damnsmalllinux packages for BL?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Damnsmalllinux packages for BL?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:06:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Firefox 2 works with ImgLikeOpera - which lets you block images and right
clock to load or view them, and you can set the filter individually for
specific tabs (sites). Not for 1.5, and did not Seamonkey but it may
already have this feature.

Firefox is set to add www. and .com if you type in XXX on the URL line.
DotClick addon lets you set it to also search for org, etc. (as in Opera,
lynx).

DotComplete is the name. Firefox 1.5 and 2.0.

If you set Enter to add www. and com/edu/org about:config no longer work when you hit Enter. (Use the mouse?)

Not available for Seamonkey 1.1.17, nor is ImgLike Opera, but there is already an Image Manager tool (block images from specific sites) and in Preferences you can set it to download all images, none, or only from originating site. What you cannot do is load one image at a time as in Opera, or Firefox 2 with ImgLikeOpera (you see a rectangle where the image would be). I therefore recommend Firefox 2 with that add-on for dialup internet if you need to load just an occasional image. Or Opera.

I have found no advantage of Firefox 1.5 over 2 and it accepts fewer plugins. I will post Firefox 2 from DSL 4 at my site on request.
It is about 350K smaller than the Firefox 1.5 package.

Is there some way to remove the icons in Firefox preferences menu?
View, Toolbars, Customize, Text got rid of toolbar icons.

Seamonkey/Firefox can zoom text, or also images with an addon. Opera zooms the whole page and does fit-to-width. (You can set fonts to a minimum size with any of these if you have older eyes).

I don't see a list of addons for Seamonkey but you can look for them in the chrome directory. Image Zoom is accessed from preferences. Seamonkey is less aimed at the general public and offers more options (managers of images, cookies, popups...). A later version that works with more addons would be nice some day.

Opera has fit-to-width. There is an Ajustar plugin ONLY for Seamonkey 1.1 to adjust size to browser window. It makes a new adjust button.
Unlike Opera, it shrinks the window to fit the page instead of vice versa. "With this extension you can read easier the web pages". Maybe icewm cannot handle this properly.

Thanks again Steven for getting Firefox 1.5 to work.

Sindi Keesan