baslinux - Re: [BL] Seamonkey 1.1.15 was Re: SIP phone

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Seamonkey 1.1.15 was Re: SIP phone
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:33:47 +0000 (UTC)

I have not tried Seamonkey. Is there a precompiled
gtk1 version of the browser (without the composer,
mail, etc.). If so, what is the URL?

http://www.seamonkey-project.org

Download and releases. Linux GTK1 full installer 1.1.15.

Would someone else please try this (with glibc 2.3.2 from SW91 or later)?

The full suite, but by default (in preferences) only Navigator is loaded at startup. Half the download size of Firefox and far fewer dependencies and should work with BL2 upgraded to glibc 2.3.2. (The official build is 1.0.5 and requires GKT2, libstdc++.so.6, and many other things).

2.3.1 from Slackware 9.0 might work if someone compiled a few other libraries for it that come with seamonkey. They say it needs 2.2.5 and libstdc++ 2.9.0 or later.

While researching VOIP I ran into more sites that work with Seamonkey but not Opera (and one that worked with Opera but Seamonkey or Firefox would not display the graphical code needed to register). I have been running Seamonkey chrooted to Slackware 11 in one console, which is a nuisance and prevents running X in BL. I had to copy Opera in SW11 so I would be able to switch between them. Chrooting to SW11 is still faster than booting with it but it wastes over 1GB hard disk.

I posted two missing libraries at my site (libcgcc_s.so.1 and libstdc++.so.5 from SW81 and SW9). You also need libXi from xbin.tgz (SW 71 has it). Seamonkey 1.1.15 comes with other required libraries (for glibc 2.3.2).

I had to do a chmod +x on libstdc++.so.5.0.2 (probably related to how I downloaded it by unpacking the large library at my shell account).
Before that ldd said I did not have execution permission for it.

cd to the seamonkey directory and type ./seamonkey (the script) so it will find those libraries. (The 1.0.5 installer makes symlinks to the ones it uses, in /usr/lib, but 1.1.15 runs from its own directory with the wrapper script 'seamonkey').

I get two lines of GDK warnings about locale and Xlib and it stops. Is the problem locale-related? I tend to delete anything in any locale directory coming from Slackware packages. glibc binutils. I have /usr/bin/locale.

Strace was not helpful.

Should I try a later libgtk? ldd finds libgtk-1.2-so.0.
I have it symlinked to 1.2.so.0.5.3 (Slackware 7.1). and Slackware 11 has 0.9.1 (which needs glibc 2.3.6).
I can get 0.9.1 from Slackware 8.1 (glibc 2.2.5) or later.

Slackware 11 has libstdc++.so.5.0.7. I have 5.0.2 (SW9.0).

Online research got me nowhere.

I tried Xvesa or SVGA server, with rxvt or xterm or running it directly without even a window manager.

(Xvesa -screen 1280x1024x24 &); DISPLAY=:0 seamonkey)

I may try Slackware 9 Live CD with seamonkey from hard disk to learn something.