baslinux - Re: [BL] Thinkpad video configuration

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Thinkpad video configuration
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:33:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Sindi wrote:

I am a newbie to linux. I am trying to resurect an old Thinkpad 560x with a neomagic video. When I start x I am unable to view it. Can you suggest what tweaks to make?

A web search says this uses the Neomagic MagicGraph 128XD, just like my Gateway. It crashes with vertical red stripes (I have to reboot) with the usual X setup (Xvesa) for BL, but worked for me with the SVGA X server. Get xsvga.tgz from Slackware 4.0 and install it, then get Steven's no-xvesa.tgz package for BL3 and install that. It should change you over from Xvesa to SVGA server. If it does not work properly, try copying to /etc/XF86config my file, which has refresh rates that work with my 800x600 LCD laptops. http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/XF86Config.laptops.

Or just copy it to /etc/ and ln -sf XF86Config.laptops XF86Config.

Several people reported online about their linux experience on this common laptop. Crystal CS4237B (cs4232.o) sound apparently crashes.

ALSA cs4236 is said to work. OSS (BL3) does not have that driver, only cs4232.

A 1998 discussion about X servers: http://arctic.org/~dean/tp560/

100MHz 800MB (same as my Toshiba).

Good luck and have fun trying,

Thanks