baslinux - Re: [BL] module for Linksys PCM100 wired ethernet card

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] module for Linksys PCM100 wired ethernet card
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steven,

--- baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I've been experimenting with this on the Compaq
instead of the Toshiba, which was probably not
a good idea. At a Linux installfest last week,
a guru there got the Compaq onto the internet
using DHCP, and so i thought that if i just left
everything the same, it would work for me at
home too. But no such luck ... and now i've
changed the /etc/rc file so much that i doubt
if i'll ever remember how it was set up at the
installfest. It would have been a better idea
to do my experiments with the Toshiba, since
i've *never* had that one online successfully.
Oh well ...

So anyway, on the Compaq, i've commented out
all the lines in my /etc/rc file which installed
network modules, and left in only /etc/pcmcia/start,
and ...

> > Then when i run udhcpc it gives me this message:
>
> I suggest you initially assign the IP address
> manually (using ifconfig instead of udhcpc):
> --------------------------
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.17
> --------------------------
> That assumes you want the address to be
> 192.168.1.17.
> Change it to an appropriate address for your
> network.
> Then try ping, etc.

I got online on my regular desktop computer so
that i could write down IP addresses. Then i
added a line like that, but using the IP address
i got from the desktop computer, in the /ect/rc
file on the Compaq. But when i ping, i
still get "host not found" messages.

Both the Compaq and Toshiba only have floppy
drives as the sole means of transporting files,
so it would be really great to get both of them
onto the internet.

-monz