baslinux - Re: [BL] module for Linksys PCM100 wired ethernet card

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] module for Linksys PCM100 wired ethernet card
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:11:23 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
monz wrote:

> At a Linux installfest last week, a guru there
> got the Compaq onto the internet using DHCP,
> and so i thought that if i just left everything
> the same, it would work for me at home too.

In order for DHCP to work, there must be a DHCP
server on the network. In order to connect to
the internet via network, there must be a gateway
to the internet on the network.

> I got online on my regular desktop computer

How exactly did you get online? Dialup?
If you are using dialup, you don't need
IP addresses. If you are using a network
gateway (eg DSL router), then you need IP
addresses.

> Then i added a line like that, but using
> the IP address i got from the desktop
> computer, in the /ect/rc file

Don't put it in /etc/rc at this stage. For
that file to take effect, you need to reboot
the computer. Just enter the ifconfig line
from the command line. This is much quicker.

> But when i ping, i still get "host not found"
> messages.

Are you sure there is actually a system on
the network with that address?

IT would be much easier for us to work out
what is going wrong if you told us the exact
commands you are entering and what response
you get from each one.

> Both the Compaq and Toshiba only have floppy
> drives as the sole means of transporting files,
> so it would be really great to get both of them
> onto the internet.

We should be able to get them on the internet, but
first we need to know what method you use to get
to the internet. Dialup? DSL? Details please.