baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:37:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:16 AM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
Thanks. Maybe what you describe has dhcp client built into the router?

We are going to concentrate our efforts on adding a few more phone lines
to the neighbor's house and placing her DSL modem closer to our house so

It appears that her only phone extension was run up the outside of her house (the far side). If we hurry, we can run another line up the near corner before the siding goes on. (It is too late to run extensions inside the walls since they just insulated them). Then the signal will be going through less walls (ideally only two windows). Also her signal is only 50% strength directly below her router, indoors (weaker than signals from two neighbors) and we will look for interference from her cordless phone, computer, etc., and whether her antenna is up, and we will assign her a password so the neighbors won't start using her new improved signal.

From memory, some routers do indeed have DHCP. Though I (or rather my younger
brother!) tried this; even using DHCP getting 2 routers won't work
unless they are the same
and they have WDS. They just won't associate or detect each other.

Someone suggested getting a certain model of Linksys that can be flashed to use linux software, two identical ones, that will collaborate, even though they won't with the original software (some models will, some won't). We prefer to work with what we have. What is WDS?

I will check if there are linux drivers for our Netgear or Linksys routers.

The several dead ports on two routers are from 'static zap'.

DHCP = client mode?

Someone figured out how to configure our bridge so we can use that once it comes back and we have a stronger signal. I can experiment with it outdoors near the router's location.

As for the lack of signal would it be an idea to use an outdoor ariel?
I'm no electronics
expert but since wireless signals are transmitted at 2.4Ghz and at low
power I'd have thought
that obstructons such as walls would be causing the problem, i.e.
killing the signal almost
completely. Satellite TV frequencies are around 2.4Ghz (not the same
but in the Ghz range)
and similar obstructions will stop those signals too (e.g. you need a
clear path to the satellite
with your satellite dish).

Do TV satellite dishes actually pick up wireless ethernet signals? Someone said they were a different frequency. And running a cable from one would change the impedance on a high-frequency signal.

I am hoping just a stronger signal will be adequate, but thanks for the following link, which I ran across once before, on how to build an antenna from a Chinese kitchen gadget. We also have a Pringles can (aluminum tube). There are instructions online for how to add an external antenna to a pcmcia CISCO aironet card, but I am hoping the bridge will be adequate. I can network to the computer with the bridge via cable after that, in a second network card going to a router (I hope).

One other thought regarding lack of signal, try this though I do not
know it will work!!
http://www.exe64.com/mirror/wokfi/

This might be helpful for picking up the future county free wireless signal, which is intentionally too weak to go through even one wall 20 feet from the transmitter.

ljones