baslinux - [BL] filesharing between laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] filesharing between laptops
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:38:30

Dear list members,

for the first time in my life (and after a couple of years
attempting to learn linux) I managed connect two laptops with
PCI network cards and a crosswired cable, created a

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 pointopint 192.168.1.2

connection and ping between them is working.

One of these machines is a rather highend machine which
ought to run Slax (Slackware 12.1) for a person without
technical knowledge. I would like to access this machine from
the other laptop using one of the BL flavours. In the end
this may be one of my customized RAM versions, but for
experimenting I will use BL 3. I noticed that Slackware has some
kind of expanded between ver. 3.5 and ver. 12.1. The following
questions are applying to to BL2 and BL3.

I would appreciate, if somebody could give me assistance:

1) How to setup NFS file sharing: For BL2 I used to extract three
programs from Slackware 7.1. Probably I can find them in Slackware
3.5 too. But which configuration files do I need in /etc?

2) On an earlier install I found /etc/exports that seemed to be used
for networking. On the slax distribution there is no file with this
name. Has the concept of NFS basically changed?

3) Midnight commander seems to offer file sharing on a local
network without a NFS server running. Has anybody made experience
with this? Does it rsh? How can I set up rsh?

4) The overkill Slax system also recognizes a wifi card. What
will be needed for using it as a gateway for internet access?

Regards,
Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov