baslinux - Re: [BL] dropbear and shadow

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dropbear and shadow
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 22:04:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

AFAIK you simply run ssh from a local xterm,
and (after you have logged in) you execute
any X executable on the remote system. The
output should appear on your local screen.

I tried this as follows (in BL2) on my one computer
(which makes me both local and remote systems):

First possible issue: this method was designed
for two systems (local/remote). Trying to run
it on one computer (via localhost) causes
complications.

I will connect a laptop computer to my desktop. Things are in flux here since everyone keeps bringing us computers to fix so we don't have time to set up our own. I can see how it might confuse the issue to export DISPLAY to the same computer it came from.

links2 graphical asks if the svgalib_helper module
is loaded (it is).
cannot open /dev/svga.

SVGAlib applications are never going to work over ssh.

So to use links2 graphical that you compiled, in X, I should have BL3 as the remote computer.

What do I try next?

Immediately after logging into the remote system, do:
export DISPLAY=192.168.1.7:0
That address (192.168.1.7) is just an example.
Use the real address of your local system.

The one I specified with ifconfig, not loopback.

Then execute an X application on the remote
system (start off with a simple one, like a wm).