baslinux - Re: [BL] dropbear and shadow

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dropbear and shadow
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 07:08:32 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> > AFAIK you simply run ssh from a local xterm,
> > and (after you have logged in) you execute
> > any X executable on the remote system. The
> > output should appear on your local screen.
>
> I tried this as follows (in BL2) on my one computer
> (which makes me both local and remote systems):

First possible issue: this method was designed
for two systems (local/remote). Trying to run
it on one computer (via localhost) causes
complications.

> as root, type dropbear (enter) to start the server
> ('remote system') log in as user on the same terminal
> as user, start x and rxvt (or start them as root,
> then log in as user)

Second possible issue: I'm not sure rxvt behaves
like xterm in this regard. rxvt should, but the
information I have specifies xterm.

> dbclient user AT 127.0.0.1 (loopback IP)

Third possible issue: the information I have
specifies ssh/sshd not dbclient/dropbear. It
is quite possible that dropbear does not serve
X applications automatically.

> y, give password, get logged in
>
> type opera (actually my script to use it without installing)
> opera: cannot connect to X server

Fourth possible issue: your not-installed opera
is a bad choice. Try something simpler, something
that is actually correctly installed on the remote
system.

> links2 graphical asks if the svgalib_helper module
> is loaded (it is).
> cannot open /dev/svga.

SVGAlib applications are never going to work over ssh.

> What do I try next?

Immediately after logging into the remote system, do:
export DISPLAY=192.168.1.7:0
That address (192.168.1.7) is just an example.
Use the real address of your local system.

Then execute an X application on the remote
system (start off with a simple one, like a wm).