baslinux - Re: [BL] don't want e2fsck to run on every boot

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] don't want e2fsck to run on every boot
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:46:10 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
James wrote:

> Yes, it's there after touch'ing. I have no idea why
> it wouldn't work from the rc file

Nor do I. /etc/rc should execute touch just like you
did from the command line.

> Didn't you say you've been using this method yourself
> for some time?

Yes, and it works fine. The check-fs file is in /etc
(just like it is supposed to be).

> You mean where is the e2fsck part that, in a fresh
> BL 3 install follows the swapon entry?

Yes. Where is the e2fsck part? It should be after:
-----------------------
[ -e /etc/check-fs ] &&
-----------------------
On the same line, right after the &&

> I commented it out on the assumption that this is
> what makes e2fsck run on every boot.

Without e2fsck there is no e2fsck.

[ -e /etc/check-fs ] is a conditional. It checks
for the existance of /etc/check-fs. It continues
to the e2fsck only if /etc/check-fs exists. And
since you delete check-fs in /etc/inittab (you did
that bit, did you?) a normal shutdown will not be
followed (next boot) by e2fsck.

> Again, I thought that you had offered a tried and
> true method for making e2fsck run only after an
> unclean shutdown

Yes, I did.

> you said "Yes, that is still the method I use.
> It works well":

I do and it does.

> the post describing how to modify the way e2fsck
> runs was made over a year ago, btw, giving the
> impression that the technique had been in operation
> for some time

It has been.

> I assumed I didn't need to do any troubleshooting
> for it to work.

There is always the potential for troubleshooting
when you type in something yourself and/or have
inadequate understanding of what you are doing.

> It was not offered as a tentative solution,
> but as one that was "production ready."

I'm not sure why "production ready" is in quote marks.
I certainly said no such thing. I wasn't offering a
software package; I was telling you about a technique
for resolving an issue that you were having.

The technique does work, but it requires a smidgen of
understanding (as do most things in BasicLinux).