baslinux - Re: [BL] don't want e2fsck to run on every boot

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] don't want e2fsck to run on every boot
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:02:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Steven wrote:

I wrote
I found an older post by Steven that describes a way to get e2fsck to check the hard drive not on every single boot, but only when the drive was umounted uncleanly. See https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2007-February/012915.html
I just want to check whether the resolution to the problem of e2fsck running on every boot as given in that somewhat dated post is still valid.

Yes, that is still the method I use. It works well.

This method doesn't seem to be working for me if I understand it correctly. As I get it, a file called check-fs should be created every time I boot BL and it should be placed in the /etc directory. However, I see no such file there. Here are the first few lines of my /etc/rc file:

#!/bin/sh
[ -e /etc/check-fs ] && touch /etc/check-fs

after which I've included the line recently given:

let c=`cat /tmp/c`+1;echo $c>/tmp/c;[ $c = 20 ]&&echo 0>/tmp/c&&e2fsck

Have I gone about this right? Should I expect to find a file called check-fs in the /etc directory each time I boot?

Thanks,
James