baslinux - Re: [BL] don't want e2fsck to run on every boot

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] don't want e2fsck to run on every boot
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 04:34:48 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
James wrote:

> I was looking in the archives for a solution to
> having e2fsck check the hard drive on every boot,
> as BL 3.5 seems pre-configured to do.

Yes, by default BL3 checks the filesystem at system
startup. This is a good idea when running from a
loopfile that resides on a DOS partition.

> It's a bit of a problem on my new laptop since it
> has a 6 GB hard drive and it takes quite a long while
> to check.

Indeed. BL3 is targetted at systems with only a
fraction of that HD space.

> I found an older post by Steven that describes a way
> to get e2fsck to check the hard drive not on every single
> boot, but only when the drive was umounted uncleanly. See
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2007-February/012915.html
>
> I just want to check whether the resolution to the problem
> of e2fsck running on every boot as given in that somewhat
> dated post is still valid.

Yes, that is still the method I use. It works well.
If you wish, you could also add a variable that counts
to 20/50/whatever and does an e2fsck. Or you could
simply do a e2fsck manually at the beginning of each
week/month/whatever (which is what I do).